Monday, December 9, 2019

Construction Site Operators…How to Comply

Who Must Apply?

Operators of construction activities that disturb 1 acre or greater are required submitting a notice of intent, or NOI, to obtain authorization under this general permit. Operators of construction activities that disturb less than 1 acre but are part of a larger development must also submit an NOI.

What Do I Need To Do?

Obtain a copy of the general permit and NOI. Copies of the permit, the NOI form and instructions may be found on the stormwater pages of AZ Department of Environmental Quality’s web site  or call (602) 771-4428, or toll free in Arizona, (800) 234-5677.

Prepare a stormwater pollution prevention plan that:

  • Provides a site description identifying all sources of pollution associated with onsite construction activities
  • Identifies the appropriate measures you will implement to reduce pollutants in stormwater discharges

Carefully complete the NOI form, providing all requested information. Failure to do so will delay or prevent your ability to discharge under this permit.

Before starting construction, submit the NOI to ADEQ by fax, certified mail or hand-delivery or use the SMART NOI system to apply for permit coverage.

Implement the stormwater pollution prevention plan prior to and during construction. If the discharge occurs near unique or impaired waters, the operator must submit the stormwater pollution prevention plan with the NOI.

When am I Authorized to Discharge?

Typically authorization is granted two business days after ADEQ receives the NOI. ADEQ will send applicants an authorizing certificate, which must be posted at the construction site.

Authorization to discharge is not automatic. If discharges occur near unique or impaired waters, the NOI is incomplete or incorrect, or if the discharges are not eligible under this general permit, ADEQ will contact you concerning your options.

Operators/owners of construction sites must apply for coverage as follows:

  • Existing Large Construction Activities must submit NOI and develop SWPPP per new GP before May 28, 2003. If the construction activity will be completed before May 28, 2003, this is not required.
  • New Large Construction Activities must ensure ADEQ receives the NOI at least two business days before construction starts. (No activities should have started between Feb. 17, 2003 and March 5, 2003.)E
  • Existing Small Construction Activities started before March 10, 2003 must submit NOI and develop SWPPP by May 28, 2003. If construction activity will be completed before May 28, 2003, the operator is not required to apply for coverage.
  • New Small Construction Activities (as of March 10, 2003) must develop a SWPPP per new GP and ensure that ADEQ receives the NOI at least two business days before construction starts.

What Happens When Construction is Complete?

Complete the notice of termination or NOT form and submit to ADEQ within 30 days after cessation of construction activities and final stabilization of the site.

Options for Controlling Pollutants at Small Construction Sites

Sediment and Erosion Control

To prevent erosion through soil protection and preservation

  • Preserve existing trees where possible and minimize vegetation disturbance
  • Plant or seed temporary or permanent vegetation
  • Apply mulch or geotextile ground cover
  • Apply sod stabilization
  • Use vegetative buffer strips
  • Contour and protect sensitive areas

Structural Practices

  • To divert, store or limit runoff
  • Silt fences
  • Earthen dikes
  • Drainage swales
  • Check dams
  • Subsurface drains
  • Pipe slope drains
  • Level spreaders
  • Storm drain inlet protection
  • Sediment traps
  • Temporary or permanent sediment basins

Stormwater Management

To reduce pollutant discharges after construction activities cease

  • On-site filtration
  • Flow attenuation by vegetation or natural depressions
  • Devices to dissipate velocity
  • Retention structures/artificial wetlands

Housekeeping Best Management Practices

To prevent pollutant discharges form equipment and construction materials

  • Proper waste management
  • Control of wastewater
  • Protected product storage areas

Contacts for Further Information

ADEQ Offices

Phoenix: Gila, La Paz, Maricopa, Pinal and Yuma Counties
Phoenix Office
(602) 771-4665 (800) 234-5677

Tucson: Cochise, Graham, Greenlee, Pima and Santa Cruz Counties
Southern Regional Office
(520) 628-6733 (888) 271-9302

Flagstaff: Apache, Coconino, Mohave, Navajo and Yavapai Counties
Northern Regional Office
(928) 779-0313 (877) 602-3675

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2019 Yavapai County Government