Ash Fork, Arizona, located on Historic Route 66 is an historic community of approximately 500 residents, which has an aging drainage infrastructure system. It became the “Flagstone Capital of the World” as officially bestowed upon the town in 2014 by the Arizona House of Representative via passage of HR 2001. The first post office was established in 1883. The Town economy is typically based on flagstone quarries, the BNSF Railroad, tourism, School District and government employment. Most of the drainage infrastructure is antiquated and unmaintained and the community has little or no documentation on the facilities.
In 2015, the Yavapai County Flood Control District (YCFCD) entered into a contract with the Prescott firm Shephard Wesnitzer, Inc. (SWI) to develop an Area Drainage Master Study (ADMS). This contract included a formal assessment of the area’s hydrology, significant drainage infrastructure, and development of priority ranking and conceptual design solutions of several identified improvements to address known and discovered problem areas. The final ADMS was completed in June of 2016.
During the 2016/17 fiscal year, the YCFCD contracted with SWI again to develop engineering plans and construction documents for the first project identified in the ADMS, the Railroad Wash Improvements. Railroad Avenue and adjacent side streets have regularly been inundated during small runoff events, creating a need for additional capacity in the channel that runs between the road and the railroad.
A request for bids was sent out and the project was awarded to Earth Resources. The project is starting in June of 2017 and includes increasing the capacity of the wash and upsizing the culverts under Double A Ranch Road.